Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Kale salad with cashews, almonds and cranberries


If this recipe and this recipe got together and had a baby, it would have been my dinner last night. Crispy gnocchi with roasted squash, dried cranberries, with brown butter. Highly recommended!

But what I actually want to tell you about today is a raw kale salad we've been eating like crazy. I've tried a few different versions in the past, but this one is the easiest and the best (if I do say so myself!).

Kale salad with cashews, almonds and cranberries
Serves 2

You will need:
8-10 tender* kale leaves, pulled off the rib and torn into small pieces
Small handful of cashews, almonds and dried cranberries (I actually use trail mix from TJ's that includes all these)
Vinaigrette
Fresh grated Parmesan

Rinse the torn kale leaves in a colander and set aside. In the bottom of your salad bowl, make the vinaigrette. I know there are many variations, but mine is a two count of olive oil (the good stuff, not the cheapy cooking stuff), a single count of balsamic vinegar, a forkful of Dijon, a squeeze of lemon, and a generous shake of salt and pepper. Then I mix it all together with the mustard fork.

Place the kale leaves in the bowl. Now roll up your sleeves and start massaging the dressing into the leaves until they are well coated. Rough chop the trail mix (or your combo of cashews, almonds and dried cranberries) and add to the kale, then finish with lots of grated Parmesan. This salad likes to hang out and get in touch with its feelings, so let it sit for at least 20 minutes before serving.

For a slightly different, equally awesome version, add in golden raisins, thinly sliced green apple and grated cheddar.

*Make sure, before you even bring the kale home from the store, that it is very tender, and not tough like horse feed, okay?! I've made this mistake myself a few times, and end up cursing my kale.

2 comments:

  1. love it - kale is on next week's shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brie, it's so yummy - I hope you guys like it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...