Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Grits with Fresh Corn, Caramelized Onions, and Smoked Trouts


I went to college in the south, but my only experience with grits there were of the dining hall variety. Not pleasant. Now that I try to maintain a gluten-free existence, I'll try just about any grain I can eat.

I am now in the midst of a hot and heavy love affair with the stone ground grits. My usual method is to cook them according to the Trader Joe's package, and then add cheese and some kind of topping (pesto, roasted vegetables, chicken, sausage - anything!) at the end.

With these, I made the grits all the way through the "add milk" step at the end. I added a little bit of extra milk and also an ear of corn cut of the cob. These would be good with almost any topping, or on their own. But for this dinner added blanched green beans, caramelized sugar onions, flaked smoked trout, and a bunch of torn basil. Oh my!

Are you on team grits yet? I'm cursing the years I wasted thinking I didn't like them!

1 comment:

  1. YUM!!!! I bet this was delicious with the smoke trout.

    I love grits actually...always have. My husband can make a shrimp and grits dish that is to die for.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...