Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A new mush

No more oatmeal (for
now). Apple sauce and rice cakes
taste way better than mush.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I had no idea that applesauce was so easy to make at home. I tried it a few weeks ago after seeing this post at the kitchn. So, so easy.

*Photo from the kitchn

I've mentioned before how difficult breakfast is when I'm trying to not break out in hives, but when that diet excludes flour, eggs, and diary, there isn't a whole lot to work with! This is the perfect solution. Breakfast: you and I can be friends again.

Homemade apple sauce

You will need:

3 large apples
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Peel and core your apples. I've been using all different kinds, with excellent results. I tend to think that the best versions come from using different varieties in the same batch, but that could definitely just be in my head.

Cut apples into small pieces, about 1/2 inch big. Add to a pot with water and cook over medium low heat for about 20 minutes. You'll know that it's done when the apples are easy to mash with a fork. Get them to the consistency that you like, and then stir in the cinnamon.

I store this in tupperware in the fridge, and find that this makes enough for about 3 servings. I always heat mine up in a bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, and it comes out perfectly. Because I like eating a good amount at breakfast, I have an apple cinnamon rice cake covered in peanut butter to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...