Friday, April 24, 2009

Pickled

Ate this amazing
pickled celery at Blue
Hill Stone Barn Sunday.


----------------------------



So I made my own at home this week! Except with carrots, asparagus, and radishes. Pickling has always sounded really hard to me, but quick pickling was so easy.

I've been throwing them in with salads, rice noodles, cole slaw and tacos all week. They would also be delicious paired with a cheese course, which was how we had them at Blue Hill. I'm looking for other things to pickle, and I think fennel might be next.

Aren't they pretty?



Pickled vegetables

You will need:

1 lbs of fresh veggies (carrots, radishes, asparagus, fennel, etc.) cut into tiny matchsticks or shredded with a grater
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 or 3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup fresh dill

Place vegetables in heat-proof bowls. Bring remaining ingredients to a boil in saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Pour pickling liquid over veggies and cool, uncovered. Add chopped dill to the bowls, cover, and refrigerate.

These get better as time goes on, but I ate mine as soon as two hours later, and they were already delicious. They keep, chilled in an airtight container, for 1 month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...