(New Yorker food issue is out! Best issue all year.)
I had a work holiday yesterday, so I was able to do Thanksgiving shopping at Fairway in the middle of the day. Amazing, I tell you. Blissfully empty aisles, save for one rambuntious family of four that seemed to be using the store as a playground of sorts, complete with cart races in the cookie section.
Here's the menu I'm working on:
- Sweet potato, thyme and sage soup (with bacon sprinkled on top!)
- Ham rolls from my sweet mother-in-law -- have you had these?! Delicious.
- Cheese, crackers, pickles, olives
- Turkey -- brined or braised, that is the question right now, folks
- Cornbread sausage stuffing with chestnuts
- Glazed carrots and parsnips
- Turnips (my mom insists, icky though they are!)
- Smashed potatoes
- Cranberry sauce
- Corn and lima bean succotash
- Pumpkin crunch
- Apple crumble
- Pecan pie tartlets