Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The gift of distraction

A funny little fact about Peter and his lovely family: when you play a game with them, you will be expected to follow all the official rules.

I know!

I was shocked, too. I thought that every family took liberties in this department, picking and choosing at will to make the game easier, better, more fun, take your pick!  Not so, my friends. There are official rule following families out there, and I have married into one.

Anyways, I still like playing games with them because the whole clan is amazingly good at them. Here are a few favorites I recommend for an extended family visit. Because I know we can't be the only ones out there that require a break from all that extended, unstructured togetherness....right?!

1. Cathedral. For the spatially, Medieval-obsessed members of your family.

2. Catch phrase. Perfect for groups large and small! Plus, no annoying board to huddle around. The anywhere in the house game!


3. Mad Libs. I have a real soft stop for these -- they are always funny!


4. Palm Reading: A Little Guide to Life's Secrets. This is the kind of book that always get paged through and played with a bit at a gathering. Who doesn't want a little guide to life secrets?!


5. I'm Not Bored Anymore Art Jar. We don't have too many kiddos present at family gatherings (yet!), but I think this is such a brilliant thing to have on hand.

What about you guys: any brilliant family game suggestions?!

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of the palm reading book! Like a Ouija board for grown-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't that look fun!? Totally a more grown up, socially acceptable version of the Ouij!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...