Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sugar Snap Pea and Cucumber Salad


On our flight home, I flipped through the latest issue of Real Simple. I don't know if it was a week away from my kitchen, or just a craving for balance after all that wine and cheese, but the spring salad recipes looked amazing

During an epic re-stocking grocery trip, I made sure to pick up the ingredients for this sugar snap pea and cucumber salad. It has a super short ingredient list, but it's a combination I had never thought of. Sugar snap peas are sort of forgotten vegetable for me (and actually, I'm not quite sure what to do with the rest of the bag - any suggestions would be most welcome!).

We served this with grilled steak and herb rice - sounds fancy, but it just had butter, rosemary, dill and cilantro. Happy spring salad eating!

Sugar Snap Pea and Cucumber Salad
Courtesy of Real Simple*


You will need: 
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 English cucumber (about 3 inches of cuke?), thinly sliced
1/2 shallot, thinly sliced (I didn't have this, so I threw a splash of red wine vinegar into the dressing for a little bit of extra bite)


In a salad bowl, whisk the oil, lemon, ginger, sugar, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar (if using, see above). Add the peas, cucumber and shallot (if using). Toss together and serve. 


*I cut the original recipe in half to make only two servings - double if you need more!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...